06 November, 2005

The Powerbook - Celia's Thoughts

One of the things I really love about this book group (apart from the food and the gossip) is the way I get a completely different perspective on the books we read. Often I arrive feeling a little ambivalent about a book, and change my mind completely after hearing someone describe why they enjoyed it. Perhaps this is because I have no opinions of my own, but I like to think it's because of the fabulously eloquent members of the book group.

I didn't quite know how I felt about The Powerbook after finishing it. It was a dream-like, stream of consciousness series of stories (one of which included sex with a tulip, which I must admit remained in my mind most vividly) about self discovery. It took me a while to read it - I kept putting it down in favour of more plot-driven books.

After hearing Oanh and Nikki talk about it, and Jeannette Winterson's work in general, I appreciated The Powerbook much more. It has wonderfully visceral, tactile imagery that remains most vividly in the mind, and it is an interesting exploration of love. I wasn't won over by Winterson's dialogue, but I enjoyed the work as a whole.

I'm not sure if I'd particularly seek out another Winterson, although I'd probably pick one up if I found it on a library shelf. I think I have to be in a more reflective mood for Winterson than I usually am.

Celia

P.S. See Bibliofemme's review of The Powerbook here.

No comments: