08 June, 2006

Alice Munro

Is it a new style of book clubbing?

Are we being avant-garde - or just indecisive?

I think we all need a bit fin de siecle in our lives.

June* is the month for dictating the author that we shall all read - rather than the book. I wonder if this has something to do with the way our book club discussions devolve to talking about what other books of the author we've read; what else the author has made us feel; what movie we watch; what amusements we have been undertaking. Okay, so it doesn't take much for book-club discussions to tangentialise - but it's all part of the joy.

June is also the month of the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year.
I don't know how that's relevant but there's something about June ...
It's a bit ... you know ... loopy.

This is what everyone is reading:-

Cee:- Runaway Stories - described by an Amazonian reviewer as: "a book about life and life experiences and because of this it is slightly depressing." Described by Amazon as having:- "a sense of hidden menace or even violence."

Oanh:- Beggar Maid - finished! and also the Moons of Jupiter, or Tales of Girls and Women (if I get around to it, riding my wave of enthusiasm all the way)

Lana:- Runaway Stories (2004)
Meg:- Dance of the Happy Shades (1974)

Meg & Lana thought it would be a great idea
to track the development of
this very prolific author over 30 years ...

Doctor (who's not yet given me permission to use her real name):- Beggar Maid

There are a few other book clubbers who have not yet told me what they are reading ...
TELL ME!
so I can edit this post.

~ Oanh

1 comment:

Cee said...

I read somewhere that Alice Munro, at 75, has declared that she is finished with writing, and won't be publishing anything else. I'll have to find the reference, and bring it in to book club. Also, an interesting blog theory about Munro being a very cold author...